Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wedding garter

This is a wedding garter I made for a coworker of Scott's. It started out as Gina Butler's Wedding Garter. No matter how much I practiced, I could not get the dimpled ring to look right. So I modified it to a simple ring with 3 picots at the top. On I went until it was long enough, then I rounded the corner and started back up with the lock chain. Me and lock chains do not get along. Again, no matter how much I practiced I could never get the chains to be the same length even though I figured about 16 lock stitches was about the correct width. Oh, did I mention that the bride gave me 1/4" wide ribbon. (Note to self: next time give a width).

It got to the point where I stopped working on it and put it aside. I debated on starting a new one from a different pattern. Finally I couldn't wait any longer and ran out of time to start from scratch. In the mean time I saw someone else's garter on facebook where they just used a satin ribbon and attached the lace like an edging. So off to the craft store for a premade garter. I get it home and out of the packaging and it looked really small. I put it on and it almost cut the circulation off just above my knee. I wasn't sure if she wanted this as a keepsake or to actually wear on her wedding day.

So back to the craft store for ribbon and elastic.

I studied the premade garter and it looked like they just folded the ribbon in half and stitched very close to the edge. So that's what I did and then threaded through the elastic. Now what? How do I close this up? So I just sewed the ends together and hoped the seam wouldn't irritate her too bad if she did end up wearing it. After hand sewing the edging on, I used her ribbon to make the bow.

The bride loved it and I still don't know if she wore it for the ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment