I had to hold off on finishing Clash of Kings until I made the bookmark for Storm of Swords. This is the Overlapping Chains bookmark by Jon Yusoff.
Wednesday, July 6, 2016
This is another project in my resolution to make something from each tatting book I own. I have never made a single color doily. They have all been multi colored or made with variegated thread. I was doing pretty good until I got to the little trefoils in the corner and a little voice said, 'those would look nice in white'. That was a tough voice to ignore. Then the voice said the rings in the last 2 rounds needed to be white as well.
Tuesday, July 5, 2016
Sunday, June 12, 2016
It is my variation of Fiona T/One Mad Tatter's variation of Anne Bruvold's TARDIS bookmark.
I made Fiona's version but wanted something a little longer so I added another row of rings to the filled in area.
This is the 3rd one I've made and with it I've decided that split chains aren't all that bad. A bit fiddly and I need to be in the right frame of mind to do them, but not as intimidating as I once thought. Shout out to everyone on YouTube you has made a video demo'ing this technique. I watched every one of them at least twice.
Thursday, April 14, 2016
I have a new job. Meh. No more spending my days tatting and reading and hanging with my dog.
Where I work the time cards are kept in a little basket and each time to clock in or out you have to shuffle through to find yours. When I started I was surprised no one was doing anything to make theirs stand out. So after my 3rd week I got the idea of making a butterfly paperclip for mine.
It looks nice here but when I left for lunch it was a but rumpled. It's clipped where people usually grab the cards, so hopefully moving it to the top of the card will help it survive.
I don't know exactly where the pattern came from. I googled tatted butterflies for inspiration and the diagram came up in the image search. Maria was the only name on it.
This is my first time tatting on a paperclip. Several were chunked until I got the hang of joining to a paperclip.
Sunday, March 13, 2016
Saturday, March 12, 2016
We went to NW Ark to visit my mother-in-law last month and of course we had to check out a few local antique malls. Hubs collects double edge safety razors and shaving brushes (and actually uses them and displays them nicely in our bathroom). I collect clovers, specifically 4 leaf clovers, but anything that has clovers on it gets my attention. But just because it has clovers on it doesn't mean I buy it, I have to find it pretty. You wouldn't think so, but there's some ugly stuff out there with clovers on it.
Anyway, I digress.
At one booth there was this thimble jar. I've never seen anything like this before and was afraid to fall in love with it before I looked at the price. I turned the little hang tag over. $2! Yes, just $2! Let the falling in love commence! (I also found a pretty little clover tea cup and saucer a few booths over for $5 which is a very good buy as they usually go for $18 and up).
It looks big in the photo, but it's smaller than a cookie jar, about 5" tall. It's a nice little storage container for a few balls of thread. Kinda wish it was glass so you can see the thread.
Fast forward a few weekends and we're in Enid, OK at a little shop outside of town. I found the same jar. OMG! I could have a set! How cute will they look on either side of the DVD player?! $17? Um...no thank you. I may have paid that if I didn't already have one and had never seen one before. But it's just weird to have never seen anything, then see it twice in 2 weeks.
Posted by Laurette at 3/12/2016
Thursday, March 10, 2016
This is Springtime Doily from The Tatter's Treasure Chest edited by Mary Carolyn Waldrep. This is another one of my paint color chip projects. My tatting group loved the colors. I'm not sure if I like the silver on the outer round. I went back and forth on doing the last round with purple rings and green chains, or doing them both in the same color.
I have two purples in my stash that I could have gone with, the one I used was a bit on the redish side, and the other one was a bit more blue. Neither one matched the color chip, and I could have used either one as they both looked good with the green. I went with the purple I did because I already had an almost full shuttle of it loaded and ready to go from a previous project.
The photo has a bit of a blueish cast to it, the colors are lavender, mid-green and silver/grey.